The classic New York Cocktail is made with a heavy hand of grenadine, which can sometimes make it a little too sweet for some tastes. By adding the grenadine directly to the ice ball, the sweetness is slowly released into the cocktail as it is enjoyed. We make the change even better by using Real Grenadine, which is made from Pomegranate juice and orange blossom water - please do not use the fluorescent-red corn-syrupy kinds of "Grenadine".
- 2 Ounces rye whiskey (We like Bulleit Rye)
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp superfine sugar/bar sugar (not "powdered sugar" which has cornstarch in it*)
- 1 Real Grenadine ice ball (recipe below)
- Lime or orange for garnish
* Regular sugar may also be substituted, or ½ ounce of Gum Syrup
To Make Grenadine Ice Ball:
- Add 2 ounces Real Grenadine to Whiskey Ice Co ice mold
- Fill to top of logo with fresh cold water
- Freeze solid and form an ice ball using your Whiskey Ice Co spherical ice ball maker.
Step 1: Place a few ice cubes to a shaker and add rye, lime juice and fine sugar.
Step 2: Shake until chilled for 10-15 seconds.
Step 3: Place grenadine ice ball in glass and strain cocktail over top.
Garnish with fresh lime and enjoy responsibly.