A drink we created while inspired by one of our favorite summertime hotel spots - The Joule Hotel in downtown Dallas. This drink is named for the location of their "Poule" (their pool/bar area), from which said swimming pool hangs over the side of the 10th floor. Talk about a killer view.
Besides being inside an amazing, restored Neo-Gothic building from the 1920's, the "Poule" as they call it, is an amazing place to lounge in the sun, and even more amazing at night. Especially when you can look out through the transparent end of the the cantilevered pool and all of the lights in downtown...we'll be right back, we have to make reservations...
The 10th Floor cocktail is crisp, slightly tart and slightly sweet with the finish of the Bitter Lemon for just the right amount of bitter at the end. Now we just need our poolside brunch please.
- 1 ½ oz Banks Five Island Rum (yes the brand is important - Banks has a wonderfully complex flavor, thanks to the five-types of rum)
- ½ oz Orange liqueur - Cointreau in this case
- ½ oz Luxardo Cherry syrup (we love Luxardo Cherries, the syrup is just as good)
- Dash of Luxardo Liqueur (something like ¼-ish of an ounce)
- Juice of half a small lime
- Bitter Lemon Soda at the end - Fever-Tree is our favorite Bitter Lemon, but there are others
- Lime wheel
- If you have them, a few Lemon Napoleon candies (why not?), otherwise be creative!
Step 1: Add all ingredients, except Bitter Lemon soda, to a shaker with ice
Step 3: Shake vigorously for 20 seconds
Step 2: Double strain into an ice-filled Collins glass, top with Bitter Lemon soda and give it a gentle stir
Enjoy, and repeat...but do it responsibly, please. Cheers.